Last year legislation that would put Kentucky into compliance with REAL ID made it all the way to Governor Bevin’s desk, which he ultimately vetoed. This year the media did a very good fear-monger campaign about people not being able to get onto our military bases if they did not have a REAL ID compliant DL, since then the Bevin administration has been able to secure an extension (of which many states have right now).
Before you give you the Alert details you might want to just check out some news stories that might give you pause as to whether it is a good idea to implement REAL ID. One thing to understand is that while half the states are not in full compliance, they are to some capacity, even here in KY.
- Illegals get REAL ID compliant DL’s in 3 states.
- DMV employees in New Jersey steal driver’s data.
- DMV employees in Kansas (a fully REAL ID compliant state) issue FAKE ID’s. Meaning these were Fake REAL ID’s,
- The state of Florida sells driver’s data to private companies.
- DHS employee records hacked. They can’t even protect their own data.
- Cost to implement REAL ID in Oklahoma estimated at $13 Million. The reason we used OK, is they are a state similar in population to KY. Keep in mind most government estimates are low balled. Has KY done a study to find out how much this will cost to implement in the Commonwealth.
We could go on, but you get the point!
HB 77 is the current REAL ID Legislation, sponsored by Republican Representative Jim DuPlessis, a no vote last year on SB 245, the REAL ID bill from last year. Any Republican sponsoring or voting for this legislation is being contradictory to the KY Republican Party Platform that voted at last years convention to be against REAL ID overwhelmingly. In fact Senator Rand Paul has signed on to Federal Repeal Legislation for REAL ID, and Representative Massie has signed on to a bill that would drastically reform REAL ID.
ACTION TO TAKE!
We need calls into Frankfort now to both the Legislators and the Governor.
Call 1-800-372-7181 and leave a message for YOUR Representative, YOUR Senator, All House Leadership, All Senate Leadership, and the House Transportation Committee Members. Tell them to OPPOSE HB 77 & KILL REAL ID.
Call 502-564-2611 and leave a message for Governor Bevin to protect Kentuckians from this invasion of privacy, violation of our Commonwealth’s sovereignty, and stop this unfunded Federal mandate.